Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:29 AM   #1

Any info provided that can help me make my decision is greatly appreciated!

What I'm looking for:

Great image quality in a small (preferably pocketable) point-and-shoot. I will almost always shoot with 4x6 prints in mind. Maybe I will do a 5x7 now and then, and on a rare occasion I will go up to 8x10, but, again, rarely.

That being said, I have had in my mind (and, thus, it has been dictating my research) that I should get a 4MP camera. Lately, I've been thinking that a 3MP would be plenty. So, given my criteria, would a 3MP really be sharp enough up to the 5x7 or 8x10 print options? I don't want to overbuy on the MP factor, but I want the best images possible.

Also, I don't care about video options.

Canon S410:

I love its design and feel. The reviews on image quality have made me a believer. What I'm hesitant on is the lack of scene modes. I'm particularly drawn to Portrait modes which will automatically give a depth of field look to people shots (which will dominate our photo taking). I don't need a ton of modes (snow, fireworks, etc. aren't needed), but I'd rather not have to learn a bunch of settings to get the shot I want if it can be achieved automatically. I wish the S410 had the features of the A85.

Nikon CoolPix 4200:

From what I've read, it seems comparable to the S410 plus it has a multitude of scene modes. Easy choice then, right? I've been a little scared off by some reviews saying that it lacks the image quality and color accuracy of the Canon. I know that no camera is perfect and maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I hate to spend $300-400 and get prints back that leave me saying, " I should have got the other one!" Plus, it costs a bit more than the Canon.

3MP options:

Does anyone know what the 3MP equivalents of the abovecams are?

My best guess is:

Nikon 4200 ---> Nikon 3200

Canon S410 ---> Canon SD110 (only 2x zoom, though)

So, I have the same questions as above, but now applied to the 3MP cams.

I may go with the Canon SD200 as it is like the new SD300 but at 3MP. That way I get my scenes with my pocket Canon. But, then again, the Nikon 3200 can be had for under $200 now.

Am I right tounderstand that the Nikons take care of red eye better than the Canons?

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

mstenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:03 AM   #2

Did you decide, because I am in the same boat...deciding between the S410 and SD-200.
rfredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:02 PM   #3

I went with the SD200 and, so far, I am happy with it. Not having had another good quality digicam to compare prints with it, I can only say that I think the prints look great. I don't know if the 410 would produce anything better or worse. It is quite a bit smaller than the 410, which makes it quite pocketable, but it does not have the sturdy feel you get with the 410's metal body.

I did some comparisons of the major online photo services. Though PCMag likes Shutterfly's quality the best, I found Snapfish and Ofoto to give better results, at least on the photos I uploaded. Matte finish also makes the results seem nicer, I think. Make sure you get good prints made so you know whether the developing or the camera is responsible for quality issues.

So far, no complaints.

Good luck.
mstenzel is offline   Reply With Quote