Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:33 PM   #11

After owning Olympus and Sony digital cameras for years (since 1998)the S1 ISwas my first Canon digital camera purchase. I purchased this camera for the 10X zoom and IS and to use to take photos at Sci Fi cons and zoo trips with my kids. But to be blunt, this camera has the worst/bumbling/most annoying autofoucus problems of any digital camera that I have ever had. I have three different Olympus ultra zooms that have never had any problems focusing, yet this Canon camera hunts an pecks and sometimes refuses to focus - partcularly in low light. (Canon has no focus assist for low light which is an really dumb omission.) The focus gets totally lost after a fast zoom too.. another problem I never had with any Olympus Ultra zoom. Plus side by side..the Olympus ultrazoom pics are better exposed and have better color and contrast. The *only* advantage this camera has is the IS and it uses AAs instead of a proprietary battery.

So yesterday I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and this camera simply blows the Canon out of the water. The colors are better. The focus is lightening fast even in low light and after any speed zoom. The zoom is 12X. If you really want an ultra zoom camera with IS, I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix series. I have both the Pana and the Canon, and the Canon is going on ebay soon. Honestly it's most the annoying digital camera that I have ever owned with having to constantly nurse a woefully inadequate autofocus system along.

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 7:46 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for all the great info and advice. I decided to go with the FZ20 and ordered it last week. Now I am waiting (not so patiently) for it to arrive! Can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a wirl!! I'll let you know what I think and post some photos as soon as I can.

snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote