Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:45 PM   #1

Powershot A85, 256CF, case, lens cleaning kit
$299.95 shipped.

Does this seem like a decent deal to you guys? or would i be better off buying the camera for 239.95 and the card and case separately (not terribly interested in a lens cleaning kit)

or.... do you have any better suggestions for a <$300 camera?
(i'm looking for at least 3.0mp, 3x zoom, some manual features, something good all-around)

thanks a lot for any replies!
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:11 AM   #2

Using the Buyers Guide, it appears to be a verygood priceon the A85 (by the way, I'd always double check vendors using http://www.resellerratings.com to make sure you're not dealing with one of the "bait and switch" types). Buydig.com has a good reputation.

Their prices on accessoriesare a little high, though. You can probably get a "name brand" CompactFlash Card from someone like Sandisk or Lexar in a higher capacity for about the same price (as well as getting afaster card).

Here's an example ($50.00 + 1.99 shipping for a Sandisk 512mb Ultra II card). It's probably much faster than the Generic Card you're looking at, is from a manufacturer with a lifetime warranty, and also has double the capacity:

More info on it:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link you posted, you'll see this same card for much more (camera prices are good from buydig.com, but accessories prices are a little higher).

Now, the A85 probably wouldn't take advantage of a card this fast. But, if you get a card reader later for faster downloads, or buy a camera than can take advantage of this much speed, you wouldalready have a faster card (at about the same price as you would be paying for the smaller, no name card you're looking at).

If you shop around some using the buyers guide here, you may even be able to find a better deal on memory:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:42 AM   #3

thanks for the advice!

i will consider your words...
dc123 is offline   Reply With Quote