Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:15 AM   #1

Please help! I am new to this forum and digital cameras, so I am after some unbiased advice...

I am travelling to the UK soon, planning to base myself there for two years, and travel Europe. I have never owned a digicam, but I have decided that now is the time to get one! I am after acompact cameraso I will take it with me everywhere(!), with excellent battery life, very good photo quality (for both outdoors/scenic shots and indoors/night shots), and a camera with minimal shutter lag. A big zoom is not particularly important - I am thinking probably a 3x optical zoom will suit my needs, but from what I have read on this forum, maybe a wide angle lens (eg 28mm).

Megapixels - well something in the range of 3-5 would be good I think.

I have been leaning towards a Canon because I generally like the bright vivid colours... any views on this? I was looking at the A95, but am concerned about the blue fringing problems. Any views on the S60? What about the IXUS 500...

I feel like I am going around in circles trying to decide! I keep reading conflicting views from owners, and reviews such as steve and dpreview seem to rate alot of the compact cameras equally high. Lately I have been thinking about the Sony DSC range because of battery life....

Can someone please help????

Thanks so so much!

Mel:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links