Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:27 AM   #1

I cannot decide between the two and there has been little reported on the new SD200. I have read the SD300 (4 mp version of the SD200) has had problems with fading corners and purple fringing. The S410 reviews show great picture quality but no preset scenes, poor video, and an 1.5" LCD (118,000 pixels). The new SD200 has numerous preset scenes, unlimited video and a 2" LCD (118,000 pixels), but loses a mp. Both are very compact (6.5 oz vs. 4.1 oz for the SD200).

I am buying this camera for my wife to use on our one year old son. We will be printing 5x7s and sharing pictures/videos on the computer.

Has anyone bought or viewed the SD200 that can assure me of equal image quality to the S410?
rfredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:13 PM   #2

I have a SD200 and I can say it is better quality than the SD100. I've never used or considered a CF canon
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:41 PM   #3

The S410 is a proven high quality camera. I have the S400 (almost identical) and had previously owned the S100 and and S210. All great cameras.

Hopefully Steve's will come out with reviews for the SD200/300 soon, but reviews that I've seen elsewhere indicate that the picture quality is not up to par with the S400. .....Pity.

However, people sometimes point out things, in reviews, that a consumer normally will never notice in a camera's day to day use. So, let's wait and see what Steve has to say. Only side by side pictures taken with both cameras would really proof a point.

The S410 should be compared with the SD300 (not the SD200) in order to compare apples and apples.I would buy the S410 IF the extra few millimeters in thickness and the smaller screen are not a big issue with you.

The SD300 is slightly faster (not as much as Canon would like you to believe) weighs just a little less, has a 2" screen (instead of1.5") and is slimmer. Picture quality is said to be good BUT not as good as the S410.:-)

TheSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote