Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one do i choose?
1 - Kodak EasyShare DX6440 0 0%
2 - Fuji Finepix S5000 0 0%
3 - Sony DSC- P93 1 50.00%
4 - Sony DSC- P100 1 50.00%
5 - Samsung Digimax 420 0 0%
6 - None 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:09 PM   #1

Hi everybody ,
i need a digital camera that will give me good quality photos both indoors and outdoors with sufficient manual settings and good zoom range.i won't be printing much. i am not a pro and don't plan to be one so i don't want a very advanced camera.
the problem is that i have very limited choices in the market where i live.
so my choices are currently limited to : Kodak EasyShare DX6440 , Fuji Finepix S5000 , Sony DSC- P93 , Sony DSC- P100 , Samsung Digimax 420
i just need to know what to expect from those cameras - pros and cons (they're the only ones i could find within my budget limit) and if any of these stands out from the rest. if none of them is good enough i'll just have to wait and save some more for a better cam
thanks for your help
moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:18 PM   #2

and i apologize for the previous three versions of the question. totally unintended. i tried to post but each time i got an error message so i assumed something went wrong and tried to repost.just noticed the other ones now. if the mods can please delete the other posts? sorry.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 6:38 PM   #3

Let's see:

The two Sony's are point and shoots with similar features except that the P100 has a Carl Zeiss lens which has a higher quality and a smaller size for the camera itself. So among the Sony's, I'd get the P100.

I had a samsung years ago (having owned Samsung, Fuji, Canon, Sony, Kodakand Olympus camera, I have brand preferences). I would almost reject any samsung on the basis of the brand. However, giving the brand it's fair chance, I'd recommend not getting this camera since it's been replaced by the Digitimax 430 at $230 on Amazon. I don't know what prices the different camreas are offered at but this should cost no more than half as much as the P100. At that price point, it's attractive for a low cost camera. (I had an awful expereince with my samsung)

The Fujifilm is the most adcanced camera of your selection. It has the best zoom and the most advanced customization options. This camera has good benefit but at the cost of portability. Depending on how much you want to explore, this camera will have the most ability to meet your needs. Notice that it is a 3 megapixel camera. The 6 MP rating is with interpoliation which is not that accepted as being legit. Also, it has been supplanted by the S5100 which is a 4mp model of the same camera.

Kodak is the "easiest" of these cameras.

As to your limited selection, you have the internet. That increases your selection (and price flexibility). I am in love with the Canon brand (so much so I picked the 3mp SD200 over the 5 MP Sony P100 at identical prices without a second thought). The Sony DSC-W1 is a strong camera (and the V1 stronger) if you are not looking for a tiny camera. The entire Nikon Line is worth considering (3MP 3200, 3700; 4mp 4200, 5 MP 5200 are all within the price range of the cameras you mentioned).

rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:56 AM   #4

hi, rp3 and thanks for the reply
yes i did consider the internet BUT customs will actually make the price double
so i am really stuck with the options i mentioned unless others appear in the market or i am able to save for something more expensive.
i do need the camera with best customization options possible - and i don't care much about the size (within reasonable limits) - photography is my hobby even though i don't take it very seriously
so basically you think i shouldn't consider the kodak or samsung. so it's either Sony DSC- P100 or Fuji Finepix S5000 .
ok. that limits the choice a lot. thanks
but what do i expect from either as compared to regular cameras ? will i get the same quality?

Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:03 AM   #5

Hi Moonstone,

> but what do i expect from either as compared to regular
> cameras ? will i get the same quality?

Depends on what you mean by "regular cameras" - some of the best cameras in the world are film, and none of these will touch them (in the right hands of course). What regular camera are you comparing against?

Also, the question doesn't really apply given your other statements - you said you'll not be printing much, which is what traditional film-based cameras are judged by. So I assume you'll be viewing on your monitor mostly. Its really hard to compare quality between such completely different media. That said, prints from a quality printer will look like photos up to a given size (depending on the MP of the camera - those you're looking at probably will max out at 8x10 or maybe a bit less for best quality). Pros may detect quality differences with a loupe, but thumbing through snapshots you'll probably not see any on 4x6 prints. Much more important is getting the shot well exposed/framed, and digital helps a lot there - you get instant feedback if you mess up So I find I shoot a lot better with digital because I can retake shots immediately that didn't turn out.

Steve's Digicams has reviews of most digital cameras. 2 that you're intrested in:

These both go in-depth as far as what controls and customization is available on each.

Be sure to check out the sample pictures at the end of each one.

Good luck, and don't worry - you'll enjoy whatever you get!

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:21 AM   #6

thanks , Seth
sorry i wasn't very clear in my questions. i see the difference between online and print - it's trrue that most of my work will be for computer usage but still i'd like to be able to print good quality photos if i wish. by regular i meant regular SLR's. i have an old Nikon that needs a lot of maintenance ( belonged to my father) and to be honest i never used it to it's full, but i loved the high quality it gave me, and i'm afraid that those point and shoot cam's won't be as good.
i did look at the reviews here and they're excellent but i also looked in other places too and i found varying opinions everywhere so that i became very confused. all i need now is to know exactly what to expect from those cameras from people who actually used them.