Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:56 PM   #21

hockeypix wrote:
Can someone here help me decide between the Panasonic FZ20 and the Konica Minolta A2? In addition to general photography and landscapes I want to take pictures at my son's hockey games. These rinks don't always have the best lighting so I like the image stabilization, relatively fast lens, and low shutter lag of these two cameras. The A2 gives me more megapixels (for cropping) pictures later while the Panasonic gives more zoom. Are the different CCD sizes and lack of RAW capture on the Panasonic something to consider in my choice?
The Konica Minolta A2 and Panasonic DMC-FZ20 are in different classes. The Konica street price seems to be almost US$200 more than the Panasonic. This is almost 25% of the total cost so you should be looking at different cameras... having said that, there aren't too many ultra-zooms so your choices may be limited...

Just based on the price, I would expect the Konica to be better than Panasonic FZ20...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 3:39 PM   #22

Try e-bay for reasonable battery prices. This is where I get my spare batteries.
dtaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:57 PM   #23

The 8 MP sensor cameras all seem to have high noise compared to the prior generation (A1 vs A2). All the reviews I saw commented on this. This does not appear to be the case with the 7.1? MP sensors Canon and Sony have started to use, but not in their long zoom cameras.

If you plan on taking a tripod then image stabilization is a non-issue. Otherwise it will enable you to take lower light shots w/o flash (assuming the subject is not moving so fast as to cause blur). Coming from a 35mm film camera to the FZ20 I find that I can take shots that would not be possible because there was not enough light for the zoom I was using. Also the zoom is larger.
It depends on what you intend to do.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote