Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:36 AM   #1

Hi, I would like tto get someadvice on choosing a camera (first in private use- had been using dad's Canon S1 from work )

It's been almost 3 months now - still can't choose. First it was Pentax Optio 30 vs Pentax S30. Now I'm trying him to get the new Canon SD200, but he keeps offering me other cameras eg:twodays agohe offered me Panasonic DMC-LC43, which is bigger. Note, that the price is almost the same on allof theasecameras.

What wold suit me: a really Compact or Ultra Compact Camra, which makes nice pictures. (great deffinition, eh? )

Are any ot theese cameras any good, or should I go for something like Minolta G400/Xg/31?

Thank you in advance.:G

oh, and I forgot: What card should I buy whith a camera 128 would be fair enough, since 256 is overbuget
Zebra.ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:24 PM   #2

It all depends on what you want to do and if you like to take it to the manual controls.

I like Canon very much, but they're a little pricey and the SD series lack on the manual controls.

Currently I have a G400 and I just love the camera despite it's very poor capability of taking low ligth pictures (this is when I must take it to manual and take excellent pictures).

I also deal with a friends Casio but, again, no manual controls.

Personally I don't like the Pentax compact cameras, but it's just me.

If you want a great camera for little money, get a Minolta G series. Either one is good and cheaper than the equivalent cameras from other manufacturers. Read the reviews here in Steve's site and compare the sample pics.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:49 PM   #3

The SD200 is good. I have had mine for a week and it takes a good night shot, great day and macro shots,incredible video and has been more than I expected (I got it (for free) to replace a SD100 and was not expecting it to be as small or have so many improvements).

As to memory cards: It depends on your use. I just replaced a 128 MB with a 1 GB 32x memory card. They are not expensive anymore, relative to camera costs. I spent $60 (after rebate) on the GB card. I replaced the card for pure video purposes. I take medium quality, high resolution shots. The 128 card holds 128 of the shots give or take a dozen. Mind you, if its full, then you will have to start deleting until you get to your computer. Video on the other hand, will kill a memory card. 640x480/30fps video takesover 1 MB/sec and has made me a reencoding junkie on my laptop.

Pentax vs Canon... I know the debate... it was my debate in getting a camera. The pentax weighs less (even the SD200 doesn't fit into an altoids tin, the shutter button and side handle stick out) and has a higher resolution for the money. The canon takes a better picture, is quicker to startup and take pictures and has better video.

To the Panasonic... I have no idea. I don't like the handle thing on the front because I like to keep it in my pocket so I want as close toa rectangular box as possible. Same with minolta. There are of course other camera with similar form/function:

Sony DSC-L1; P100/P150

Casio Exilm series

Kodak LSC 743/753

Fuji F440/450

Olympus Stylus Verve, D590, Ferrari

Nikon 3700/4200

I love the fuji and olympus brands but the XD memory cards give me pause since they are brand specific. The sony's are similar.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:43 AM   #4

Thank you for the opinions. For manual controls - don't really know... I don't think, I need them THAT much As for pictures - haven't seen any SD200 ones to compare ( I mean two same pictures, but with different cameras). I've also heard, that SD200 makes too much purple flaring (or how it's called?)- As for G400 - can't find one. It is to be said an old camera and "we don't recommend it". For the way it lookes - I like SD best. Haven't seen one, though since it still hasn't got to shop (althou the commersal and price is aviable for 3 weeks now). I don't need 5Megapixel - 3 (maximum 4) would be enough.

As for Pentax- S30 looks nicer, than Optio 30 and has something bigger/better (don't really remember).For Olympus -wasearlier thinking of MJU 300. Nikon.. well hard to find one here and 4200 is overbuget.Samewuth Sony.Haven't seen any Casios around as well.

Minolta Xg looks kinda strange. I'm still a bit conserned about that mirror-zoom thing,although a salesman told me it's OK (one big peace, nothing will happen, works as well as..) And it was really hard NOT to put my finger in front of the "lens"
Zebra.ee is offline   Reply With Quote