Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:57 AM   #1

Can't quite make up my mind between the Fuji S5100 and the Panasonic DMC-FZ20. Waiting for the review on dcresource on the Fuji tomorrow. Have read some great reviews on the Panasonic. Is the 2X difference between zooms a big consideration and also the image stablization?? Cost is about $200.00 less for the FUJI. Is the FZ20 worth an extra $200.00. I am an amatur and am an avid wildlife photographer.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

wfshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:01 AM   #2

I just bought the Panasonic mainly due to the image stabilization. But the lens in much betteron the Panasonic as well as the zoom being better. For those reasons alone I think the Panasonic is worth the extra money. Look around, you can find the FZ20 for $539 from Circuit City online or even less from less established online sellers.
tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3

I'm just a newbie but based on my research...

I personally would consider image stabilization as a major feature for a casual or newbie-amateur photographer. Since people in these categories, which includes me , don't carry around tripods, the IS is extremely important in my eyes. In fact, I ruled out everything without IS for my ultra-zoom purchase (I ended up with the Canon S1 IS but the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 (FZ20 is in a higher price range and is out for me) is arguably better if you don't care about movie quality).

Extra 2x zoom probably doesn't matter but it all depends on the maximum range. Check the 35mm equivalent range to see how far out it zooms. (A camera that goes from 30mm to 60mm is 2x zoom but so is one that goes from 50mm to 100mm--I just made up the numbers. The 100mm one sees out further but doesn't see things closely as well (eg. macro pics)).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote