Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:02 AM   #1

I am in the market for a new digital camera. What I am looking for is the best small point and shoot.

To me, the following is most important:

1) picture quality

2) size (would like it to be small)

3) zoom

I am not so concerned about movies or price. I was looking at the new olympus stylus verve or maybe the sony w1. The sony seems to take better quality pictures but the verve is much smaller (almost ideal size).

What would you guys recommend?
argoldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:33 PM   #2

Like all things in life, there has to be some compromise!

I pick the verve because of it's small size and good picture output. The cheaper cost and all weather design was another factor. Some cons, 2x zoom, weak battery, expensive xD memory.

The Sony W1 is good, has 3x zoom, uses regular AA batteries more manual control than the Verve. Maybe the Sony P-100 would be better since it's thinner?

And another thing I notice alot of the cameras don't allow you to select the next mega pixel down ie the Sony W1 it's 5MP, 3MP, or 1MP and VGA(0.3MP) res. While most of the Olympus cameras allows this ie the Verve 4MP, 3MP, 2MP, 1MP, 0.7MP, 0.3MP

This is useful if you are running low on memory and wanted to squeeze a few more shots without going too low res.

Look out for same sample pics I'm gonna upload!
Jobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:03 AM   #3

Wow, you have some very broad requirements.

"Zoom" like 3 or 4X, or "zoom" like 10 or 12X?

How "small" is "small"?

Pretty much all decent compact cameras have 3x zoom. Even 4x requires a camera to be not-so-compact.

The Nikon 5200 takes great pictures, and is pretty compact. The Sony P100 and P150 are also very small and have quite high resolutions. the Canon SD200 and SD300 take very good pictures too. These are all smaller than the Sony W1, which is also a nice camera, although at that size I'd recommend the Fuji E550 over it.

DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote