Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:24 PM   #1

I currently own an Olympus C-3000 (3 MP) digital camera, and am considering upgrading to a newer model. I've owned several other Olympus models and have always been very happy with the quality. At first I thought that I'd hold on to the Olympus and just buy a cheaper pocket-style digicam - big mistake!

I tried the Kodak LS753 (5 MP), and while its a nice looking camera, the picture quality was absolutely horrible - far worse than my 2+ year old Olympus. It seems like the .JPG compression was too harsh, since the file sizes were nearly half what I was currently used to at the highest quality setting.

So, I've tossed aside the whole pocket digicam idea, and I'm going to go with a prosumer level digicam like I currently own. I'm considering the Olympus C-5060 as an intermediate step, or going all out with something like the Olympus C-8080 or the Nikon Coolpix 8700. Does anyone have any advice or any other suggestions? Unfortunately I'm locked into something from CircuitCity.com (second big mistake!) to avoid the 15% restocking fee from returning the Kodak. Luckily, they'll honor Amazon.com prices in the store!

Here's a couple of the features I'd like to see in a camera, although I know some of the ones I'm considering don't have all of these features.

Media Type - Compact Flash or SD; would prefer "AA" over rechargeable pack; 3:2 setting to avoid cropping; fast lense for shooting in low natural light; decent zoom range; custom mode to save any special setups. Think that's about it...

Thanks in advance for any advice on this! Have to decide by Wednesday.
SoapPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links