Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:23 PM   #1

Hey there,

My camera hunt is still on. I am pretty much sold on the canon sd200. it is in my budget (under $300), and seems to be a very good camera. I would like a camera that takes decent pictures (the largest prints I will make would be 4 x 6), the abilty to shoot decently at night, the ability to shoot decent action shots, a pockatable size, lightweight, and a decent video mode (with sound). is this the right camera, or shall I keep looking?

warestheblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:30 AM   #2

As a rule of thumb, I like to make my prints at least 300 printed pixels/inch. Therefore, for a 6x4 shot I would want a camera that was a minimum of 1800x1200 resolution or more than 2Mp. That should be easy since I don't think there is much out there under 3Mp even at the entry level.

Don't forget that those are minimums and a higher resolution camera will produce the same 6x4 and larger prints as well.

In that case, it probably doesn't make much difference, Sony or Canon. Buy what you can afford that meets the minimum requirements and have fun!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:03 PM   #3

I always try to go to reviews or other forum boards where I can see the same pictures taken hopefully around the same time from different cameras. It is amazing when they are side by side how different they can look. I've been doing this alot with Canon's, primarily sd200/300 vs other ultra compact cameras. The color reproduction that I like the best are from Canon's, Sony 's pics have been incredibly sharp. Fuji color's are also nice.

www.dcresource.comdid not allow me to paste their pics here but check out their site and compare the picture from Stanford that has yellow brick bldg in it.

smc is offline   Reply With Quote