Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:47 AM   #1

My friend wish to get a point and shoot camera. He is just a beginner so any recommendation for him?

He thought of getting A95. Any comments? Does Sony camera have better image compared to Canon?

Basic requirement

1. 5MP

2. At least 3x optical zoom

Any comments welcome! Thanx!

TeamWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2

It's apples and oranges

Most will tell you canon has better image quality than sony.
Canon's also have more barrel distortion and are generally slower, which I find aggravating.

Sony's have proprietary memory cards which most hate, but doesn't bother me, it's quality, high speed memory for a few bucks more.

The A95 is a great camera, I used one for a while, if it fit better in my pocket, I wouldhaveone today.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:12 AM   #3

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_beginis a link to a list of cameras for beginners that made it to Dave's Pick (Best Cameras) at The Imaging Resource. None of the cameras listed in this section have 5 MP, but I would base my choice of megapixels on what I intend to do with the photos:idea:. For lots of cropping or photos greater than A4 size I would say that the minimum be 4 megapixels. If your friend won't be doing a lot of that sort thing, 2-3 MP should suffice.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_allis a list of the bestall around cameras at the same site. Here you can find cameras with more than 5 MP.

I advise reading the reviews of the cameras that get selected as possibilities.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote