Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:37 PM   #1

I want to buy a new digital camera, and am stuck in choosing between these two right now: Canon Powershot SD300 and the Sony DSC-P100. These are my criteria:
  1. Ultracompact (easily fits into pants pocket) [/*]
  2. Takes great pictures (for an ultracompact) [/*]
  3. 4MP or 5MP [/*]
  4. 3x optical zoom [/*]
  5. Takes good movies, so I don't have to buy a new camcorder too (my old one broke) [/*]
  6. LCD around 2" (or bigger, of course) [/*]
  7. Convenient media and battery configuration [/*]
  8. Good battery life [/*]
  9. Rugged, so that I don't get too nervous when my 12-year-old son uses it (or I forget that its in my pants pocket!) [/*]
  10. And, oh yeah, around $300 is okay
I know, I know, you're gonna want to know what kind of picturesI take. Well, I am a father of 3 kids and 1 dog, so its the usual for my demographic:
  • Kids, dog, family - indoors / outdoors - typically 10 feet away or so [/*]
  • School plays and school band concerts [/*]
  • Kids playing soccer, tennis, etc. [/*]
  • Birthday parties [/*]
  • Vacations [/*]
  • Occasionally scenic shots of nature, buildings, etc.[/*]
Thanks for your suggestions and input!
dbphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:58 AM   #2

Both are great picks and I think pretty equal.

SD300 a little smaller, purple fringing issues

p100 a ittle cheaper, a surprisingly so-so review from cnet, only one I've ever read that said anything bad about the p100, memory stick more expensive (MS pro vs fast SD)
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:08 AM   #3

dbphilips wrote:
  • School plays and school band concerts
If you are outside of the flash range (which is reasonably short with these models -- you'll see the ranges in the specs), don't expect to get usable shots indoors without a flash or tripod. You'll havehigh noise (from increasing ISO speed) and/or motion blur (from shutter speeds that are too slow for the lighting conditions).

Indoor photos without a flash or tripod are very challenging for a camera (what looks bright to the human eye, is not to the camera's lens).

For these types of photos, you'll need a camera capable of shooting at higher ISO speeds, as well as a very bright lens. None of the subcompact cameras are going to fit this criteria (you're getting into DSLR territory).

Now, you *might* be able to get by with one of the models using a stabilized lens that's able to maintain a constant aperture throughout the focal range indoors. But, depending on the lighting, you may even find the quality from some of these to be unacceptable (depending on the viewing/print sizes needed).

See this thread for an explanation of why indoor photos without a flash or tripod is difficult (and you'll likely be outside of the flash range for indoor concerts and plays):

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote