Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:41 PM   #1

Hello , i am between these cameras , but as a new at this world of digital cameras,any recommendations for other cameras would of course taken into consideration.

what i want is

-pocket size( i dont want to feel uncomfortable when having it in my pants' pocket:-) )

-the best possible image quality(obvious)

-no blurness in the images

-no shaking images(very important!)

-pictures outdoor/indoor/and fast action pics(f.e. a car or a train that goes fast)

-as good as possible low light performance(very important!)

-general as good as possible quality in every kind of pictures

-unlimited video(640x480)

I would like a good combo, i can afford not more than 600 $.

i dont know about other brands of cameras thats whyi only talk about canon+sony.

Any help would be welcome , thank you all!

george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2

I've handled all of these cameras as I am looking at them too. The chunkiesis the w1 but it's only marginally biger than the s500. THe sd300 and T1 are in a class size of their own. I don;t think the quality of the video on the s500 is up to snuff with the other cameras, I think it shoots 15fps and the others are at a smoother 30fps.THe Sony's have some noise correction feature but I've read some complaints that it made the pics "soft". Guess you can have it both ways in this group of cameras. I'm leaning towards the w1 b/c of price (compared to others in this group)and features. The T1 is the best choicein this group IMO but the most expensive.

Another worthy contender(s) in this group is the p100/150, (5mp, 7mp, resp)

Don't know about VGA video but the Casio z40, 55 are excellent cameras, no video out and pics I think a little less sharp than Sony and Canon. Fuji f440 another excellent small camera, very expensive xD memory card, limited flash range.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:43 AM   #3

What about the new Pentax Optio SV, with 5 Mp, 5 x Optical zoom. Marginally larger than the Casio EXZ55 and others.

There don't seem to be any reviews or comments on this anywhere.

Seems to have good features, but what about picture quality?

ukcameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:16 PM   #4

How about the Panasonic DMC-FX7 (optical image stabilizer) very thin, 2.5 LCD

Or the Olympus AZ2, or the Stylus Verve (water resistant) a bit smaller than the Canon S400/410 but fits into you shirt and pants pockets comfortably! The Canon sd300 or the Pentax S series seems to have above average blurriness, so be warn!
I think the Sonys P100 or P150 are worth looking at too!

Have a look at the sample pics for these cameras, they're all small and compact and produce good images.
Jobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:44 PM   #5

George...Not sure if you have purchased your camera yet but I thought I would share my experience. I have tested the canon sd300, S500, and the sony dsc-w1. Based on your requirement of "as good as possible low light performance(very important!)" I would highly suggest going with the Canon S500. The SD300 is an excellent camera it just can't perform in low light conditions like the S500. The pictures I took in low light conditions produced vignetting(darkness around edges) in almost every shot. The S500 performed much better with little or no vignetting. Yes, you will lose the nice 2" LCD and smaller size but that is the trade off. As for the Sony...I wasn't impressed. The pictures in low light were too yellow for my taste. Hope that helps!
clearvu is offline   Reply With Quote