Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:52 PM   #1

I have a Dimage 7i right now and have really gotten into it.
I have a couple small issues with the camera and want a better autofocus, better viewfinder and more speed.
I shoot nature, people etc. no studio work.
In addition, I am thinking of putting together a small exhibition and thus want to be able to make largish prints (20x30 ?).

I was looking at the D70 but am wondering if 6MP will be enough...

help please!
runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:29 PM   #2

6Mp will make a decent 13 X 19 print. Larger than that the resolution would be low enough that detail would be poor if looked at closely.

But you don't usually view a 20 X 30 up close like you would a smaller print. The maximum resolution you could get is 100 PPI. You might try making an 8.5 X 11 at 100 PPI and hanging it on the wall to get an idea how it will look.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:43 PM   #3

20x30 is generally considered medium format domain, not 35mm. This might also mean high-end small format digital (Canon 1Ds, etc.), which does compete with medium format film in some respects. However, someclaim to have made satisfactory prints of this size with 35mm film and 6MP digital.

You often find in the discussions that there is no agreement. In part, this is simply because "what's good" (at 20x30, etc) has no clear answer. It's also because the answer will also depend on your subject material and how it's seen. If you're photographing large areas of semi-uniform colour, etc., then you can have very large satisfactory blow-ups with interpolation. If you have very fine detail that is meaningful and you need to resolve it, then (a) your technique becomes critical and (b) your medium has to have high resolution.

So my best answer is like the above: You're best off doing some tests with your own images. For example, do some math, then take a proportional crop, and enlarge it to your available print size, and use that to judge what a large print would look like. View it at your intended viewing distance to judge it. I like to keep my nose off the images, not everyone does this. More seriously, a fair distance is one which lets the viewer see the entire image, and not focus on a crop.

Photoshop resizing is the first thing to try. Genuine Fractals is another.

If you're considering 6MP DSLR, then why not jump up to the 8MP Canon 20D -- it's a good camera with a bit more resolution. The next steps up for digital are signficantly more expensive. E.g. the Kodaks and the high-end Canons.

Practical alternatives for large printsare medium format film, scanning, and grain removal.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:40 PM   #4

If you want a good prosumer camera the Canon G6 is 7.1 Mp and shoots in RAW format at 3072x2304. I'd go take a look at one if I were you.
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote