Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:24 PM   #1

First time poster, short time lurker, and in desperate need of your advice. The wife and I are looking for a new digital camera after our other camera met an untimely demise. It was a Kodak DX series, 3.2 mp camera. For what it was, we thought the pictures looked great on it and couldn't get better. Now that my eyes have been opened to what these things can really do, I wanted a better type of camera.

Onto the Canon S1 IS. For the price and features, I thought for sure this camera couldn't be beat. Steve's review on it colored it favorably, and the 640x480 video mode was a plus. Not to mention that our 3x128mb CF cards wouldn't be useless. THEN I go and read the forums. The mention of 'soft' photos kept popping up, and that didn't sound good. It was made worse when I saw samples of this. Let the wife know that this wouldn't do, so I started to search again.

Panasonic DMC-FZ20. This camera was mentioned more and more in the Canon threads, so I thought I would finally read up on it. Again, Steve's reviews were really favorable towards it. The video mode isn't great, but I'm now more interested in taking really nice shots, and maybe taking a class on doing it. Read this thread and that thread and it looked good. UNTIL I read the review on www.dcresource.com and it made the mention of 'Above average noise level, red eye and barrell distortion'. Not being an expert, that makes me think OH OH.

So the question is this. With the Canon being put at the rear of the pack, and the Panasonic now up in the air, is there another camera that has the 10-12x zoom that I want AND not so 'noisy' a picture? Am I overly worried about the noise issue? I plan on taking indoor pics, and get some nice outdoor shots.

I'll attach a shot the wife did with our old camera. Everything was set to factory defaults. Like I said, at the time I thought we had a great camera. It was reduced from the 2160x1440 to 1024x624. I think.
Attached Images
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links