Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:40 PM   #1

Hi all-

Ok, I have a simple Canon PowerShot A20 right now, and looking to upgrade to something better. I need a camera that can give me good close up shots of my daughter, but also great everyday pics.

After reading through the forums, looks like the Panasonic is a winner, but I can't tell which one. The Z20 and Z3 are mentioned the most.

Can you tell me what the big differences are between these. Remember I am a NOT a pro, just a mom trying to take good pics of her daughter...so simple explanations would be great.:?

Thanks for any feedback you might be able to offer.

dandice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:03 PM   #2

FZ20 - a very large camera that adds manual focus and a few more megapixels.

FZ3 - a much smaller camera that only lacks manual focus and a hotshoe.

Given your needs and probable level of photographic proficiency, I would imagine that the FZ3 is all the camera you need. The nice thing is that you won't go wrong w/either one, but I couldn't see spending the extra $ for a camera that's as big as your head (ok, maybe your daughter's head), and won't give you any better image quality. Unless you've just got to have the extra megapixels, I vote FZ3.

p.s. a hotshoe is for an accessory flash, which you wouldn't want to get unless you really get into photography.....

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:49 AM   #3

I personally prefer 5Mp because I like larger pictures to put on the wall. If you are pretty sure you will never make a print larger than 8 X 10 you would be happy with 3Mp.

About the only other advantage is that the FZ20 has a stronger built-in flash. They rate the FZ3 flash to 15 feet, which seems like plenty. But you will find your flash shots much nicer at ISO 100, which reduces that range. The FZ20 flash is good to 23 feet in auto, which probably gives around 15 feet using ISO 100 or 80. The FZ20 also has a larger LCD.

The FZ3 is a much more compact camera. You would need a large purse to carry the FZ20 around.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I think I will probably go for the FZ3, but am concerned about the flash issue.

Can you further explain how I would have flash issues with the Z3 vs Z20? Most of my pics are taken inside during birthday parties, family get togethers, and playing. I do plan on taking lots of out door pics of my daughter playing, so want to make sure the flash will work for this.

dandice is offline   Reply With Quote