Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:13 PM   #1

Ok me again....

I orginally posted buying Z3 vs Z20. Now I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on any of the lumix with the 12X optical zoom?

Was on ebay and saw several other modles (Z1, Z15 etc)

I need a camera for good close up's of daughter, as well as good everyday use.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

dandice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:27 PM   #2

I have an FZ10 and find it absolutely awesome.
It's not as expensive as FZ20 and it has nearly all of the options of it. (FZ10 is a 4MP camera, and I've made excellent 8x10" prints with it.)
It's 12X 2.8f Leica lens produces very clear images. And image stabilization is outstanding.
I don't have a lot of experience with photography, but you can see some of my pictures at:
and decide for yourself whether the camera performs well.

tmoldovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:45 PM   #3

I have an FZ10 and don't recommend it as an "only" camera. It has a very weak flash and problems in low light. Not a good family camera IMO.

The FZ15 is a good all-round camera for less money than the FZ20. It is 4Mp with a strong flash and focus assist lamp.

The FZ3 is 3Mp and much more compact. Neither the FZ3 nor FZ15 have a hot shoe for an external flash, but the built-in flashes are adequate for most family photos. The FZ15 flash is a good bit stronger than the FZ3, but the FZ3 still has twice the range of the FZ10.

The FZ20 is a great camera, but you might not need the 5Mp, hot shoe etc.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:54 PM   #4

I'm going to get flamed for this (FZ10_user is already in a debate with me over this) but I don't think the ultra-zooms are good for close-ups or for general photography. I think the low-zooms are better for general photography. But anyway, the Panasonic Lumix line is pretty good...

The FZ3 and FZ20 are new (I think the FZ15 is new too but don't remember). The FZ1 and FZ10 are old. I would go withe the newer ones unless you are really tight on cash...

FZ3 is 3 megapixels
FZ15 if 4 MP
FZ20 is 5 MP
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:29 AM   #5

The FZ1 and FZ2 are point-n-shoots (they have auto exposure and some scene modes, and the FZ2 has aperture priority and shutterspeed priority). The FZ1 and FZ2 are identical, except for the software in them. The FZ3 has all that plus manual exposure and one more megapixel.

The FZ10, 15 and 20 have manal focus as well, and are bigger than the FZ1 and 2 and 3. The FZ10 and 20 have a flash shoe. The FZ15 does not, and cannot record sound (which is AWFUL imho).

I had an FZ1, and now have an FZ10. They're awesome.

I say, get whichever is the nicest one you can afford, between the FZ3, 10 and 20. Skip the FZ1, 2 and 15 cuz they're missing some key features.

DigiCamMan is offline   Reply With Quote