Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:17 PM   #1

I love my Sony 717, particularly for indoor up-close macro shots (which I take a lot). Will any of you please predict how much improvement I might see with a good dSLR / lens combination, particularly with up-close detailed shots? The dSLR's have a larger image sensor, right?

I don't have much experience with SLR lenses, so recommendations would be most welcome!! For cameras, I'm leaning toward Nikon or possibly Canon. The D70 looks very good - when is that D200 coming out??

Thanks for your help.

Steve Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:50 PM   #2

I'm sure some will differ, but it will be very difficult to match the capability of a small sensored model for macros with a DSLR (depending on your subject).

This is because a non-DSLR model like your Sony has dramatically more depth of field for any given focus distance, aperture and 35mm equivalent focal length (because the sensor in the Sony is much smaller, and a much shorter focal length lens can be used).

For example, if you shot at f/4.0 with your Sony, you'd need to be stopped all the way down to about f/25 on a model like the D70, just to match it'sdepth of field (amount of the subject in focus, as you get further away from your focus point).

If you stopped the Sony down to F/8, you couldn't match the DOF with a DSLR, no matter what lens you bought.

So, this gives a non-DSLR model anadvantage with macros, versus a DSLR model that will have a very shallow depth of field, unless the lens is stopped way down (requiring much longer shutter speeds)

On the other hand, I've seen some pretty impressive macro photos from DSLR models. It really depends on how close you need to get (or rather, how much of the frame you need it to occupy),what type of subject you're shooting,how much of it you want to be in focus, and if you're willing to use a tripod withlonger shutter speeds when greater DOF is needed.

Here are some 1:1 Macro Lenses for the D70:

Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro

Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro

Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Sigma105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Note that you can also get extension tubes that let non-macro lenses get closer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote