Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:09 PM   #11

I'm definitely biased towards Canon and Sony b/c I think their pics are the best, very reliable and fast.
p100- small, nice pics, great quality, great lens,very fast performance. great video capabilities,fast USB 2.0
s410- excellent pics- best I've seen in the ultracompact class. period.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:41 PM   #12

Of the cameras you listed I would go for the Oly 765. But I like having the manual exposure modes and control plus the long zoom in a compact camera. It has a decent flash range and good versatility. It is the only one with a high quality movie mode, albeit a little jerky at 15fps.

If you really plan to just use it point and shoot, the Stylus 410 is a nice little camera. Both Beach Camera and Buydig have it for $245 delivered. It is weatherproof, so you don't have to worry about taking it out in the rain. It isn't as fast for shutter lag and cycle times as the Kodak, but it isn't bad. The LCD is small, which isn't a big deal if you aren't constantly fooling with settings.

I don't know much about the Kodak other than Steve's review. It looks to be extremely fast. The best online price is about $20 higher than the C60, but the SD card will be slightly cheaper.

I agree that CU's report isn't very inclusive. There are a LOT of nice cameras out there. Not very many are weatherproof with a clamshell like the Stylus and there is nothing as compact as the 765 with a 10X zoom. But there are 3 and 4X cameras more compact with larger LCDs and better movie modes. I would look through Steve's list of Best Cameras. Crosscheck prices and read the reviews of those that interest you.

4Mp will make a nice 11 X 14 print if you don't have to crop. Higher pixels let you crop more or make larger prints. Higher pixels are usually accompanied with more noise.

If you get an Olympus camera get an Olympus xD card or you can't use the panorama mode without it. Any other type of card just make sure it is high speed. The camera determines the general card type you need.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote