Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1

I am deciding betweenthe Sony DSC-P150and Canon S70. I am a novice and will use the camera mostly as a point and shoot for pictures of girlfriend, dogs, etc. I like the idea of a small camera because I will be more likely to carry it with me and thus to use it.

As the prices are similar, the trade-off to me seems to be picture quality vs. size. The P150 is a bit smaller and easier to carry, but maybenot much. The S70 appears to get slightly better (brighter?) picture quality. But I am viewing pictures on my computer monitor, which leaves a lot to be desired, so I am not sure how much difference there is in the quality.

Can someone please advise me how much difference there is in the picture quality of the two cameras, primarily in skintone and color accuracy? I've also read that the P150 may not be as good with flash pictures indoors. I don't think I'll be using a flash attachment, so how relevant is this issue?

I've read the reviews here and on other sites, and I don't think I can go wrong with either. And I know I probablydon't need this many pixels. But I'm comfortable choosing between these two, and there are so many cameras on the market that I don't want to start confusing the issue byconsidering many others.

If the cameras are essentially equal in picture quality, I'll go with the P150 based on its size.

EDIT: a friend just pointed out to me the Cannon S410 as a compact possibility. I understand that the resolution is much lower than the Sony P150. Apart from that, how do the picture qualities and colors compare?

MACinPtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:05 PM   #2

I'm not sure if you checked the dpreview.com review but here is a direct pic comparison between the two (note that the cameras are pretty much shot with default settings so you may or may not get better performance by tinkering):

The S70 looks better than the Sony...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote