Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:30 PM   #1

I have a very specific use. I need a digital camera to photograph finely detailed 19th century wood engravings. They are all line art, but are often so finely detailed that they appear to be grayscale. They will be shot from old books, primarily 18th and 19th century.

An example would be the animal illustrations used on the covers of all the O'Reilly computer books.

The digital photos will be used to prepare negatives for printing on offset printing equipment. The printed sizes will be no larger than 8 x 10 inches.

Cameras I was considering are the Olympus C-5060, Olympus C-7000, Canon Powershot
S 70, Canon Powershot A95. Other suggestions would also be welcomed.

Do you think a camera capturing raw images is a necessity? If so, would that mean I should eliminate the reasonably priced Canon Powershot A95, which only offers JPEG images.

I would prefer a camera using Compactflash or SD cards for reasons of cost.

Any suggestions?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Most camera reviews I see focus on outdoor color, etc.
I have yet to see a review which mentions much about capturinig finely detailed grayscale.

A sample file is attached.

Attached Images
Jean-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:56 AM   #2

i think that you should throw one more camera into the ring : Nikon's Coolpix 5200

Reason: one of the best macros in its class

if you are going to be taking close up pictures out of books a good macro will make your like a whole lot easier

i know the canons also have good macros (not farmilliar enough with olympus) but nikon is still the best
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote