Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:55 PM   #1

Hi, im new here and i am looking to spend around $1000 on an SLR-Like camera in 3 months time. The reason i say in three months time is cuz i will be overseas for 3 months and will be buying one when i get back.

I have been looking at the Nikon Coolpix 8800 and i am very impressedwith the mp count and the 10x zoom. I am however not too sure about it as there have been some bad reviews from those who have purchased the 8800 (andquite a fewimpressed customers too which add's to my confusion).

While the 8800 looks to be the best buy (IMO)i am after some other options to look at and also if anyone knows of any cameras being announced for april 2005 or around then.

Thanks in advance!
da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:49 AM   #2

Maybe you should also consider the Olympus C8080wz. It wan a few prices and got some good reviews. The only minors I could find were about noise at higher ISO speeds and more of personall taste about the default settings (saturation etc.), but these are programmable to your own taste. I didn't by either of the two because a good offer for the EOS 300D (or Digital Rebel) came on my path and I deciced to go for the SLR (probably better than SLR-like....). Good luck with your choice!
bergj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:42 AM   #3

New models may be annouced in 3 months so you should wait and re-evaluate your choices in 3 months. Prices of newly announced products are higher (so your Nikon 8800 or the recommended Olympus 8080 will be lower) but they will have newer features and possibly better image quality...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote