Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:47 AM   #1

:? I have used my 1st camera for over 4.25 years now - nikon cp880 (a 3.34 mp camera with 2.5 opticalzoom). It was a high end camera when I purchased it in the fall of 2000. I spent a fortune then.

Recently the shutter lag (I mean the time between pressing the shutter button and the image capture) has become too long - some seconds and I am missing ideal shot moments. I am thinking of buying a new camera.

Which cameras have the least shutter lag ?

I do not print more than 8.5x11. So a 5 mp should be OK.

At least 1 or 2of the following features will be nice to have

wide angle zoom, tele zoom > 3, compact size, camera with 2 aspect ratios (4:3 & 3:2), camera with date feature (on prints)-not with exif
dsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:01 AM   #2

As a general rule, all of the DSLRs will have significantly less shutter lag than point and shoot cameras. This might be more than you want.

For point and shoot cameras, the latest Sony cameras, like the V3 have shortest shutter lag.

The V3 is 7Mp so that is more than you are asking for.

The zoom is only 34-136 but it is 4x. The V3 has both aspect ratios (4:3 & 3:2), and can print the date on the shots.

Whether you consider the V3 'compact' is relative. It isn't as compact as the Sony P-150 but certainly more compact than any dSLR,
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:59 AM   #3

If you want a wide angle lens, compact, with zoom then there is only the Canon S60 and S70 that will fi the bill. Since you are not going bigger than letter size with your prints then the S60 is cheaper and will be as good as the S70. Self explanatory - the former is 6mp and the latter 7mp, which is not necessary up to A4 size. However, for a better camera overall with wide angle and a 4X zoom try the Olympus 5060. I have it and it is excellent if bulkier. Wide angle -less than 35mm - is not common. Those I have recommended are 27mm at the wide end. Also, if you want to stay Nikon there is the 5400 which gives wide angle too.

Given your requirements the S60 would be the best I feel. Incidentally, I had the Nikon880 and it isn't a patch on the newer cameras.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote