Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:43 PM   #1
med

i'm getting my first digital camera and i want to get one that will last for the next few years and serve me well. i'm not looking for the "best" either as i'm sure i cannot afford that. i really want around a 10x optical zoom too. it will be used alot outdoors because i do alot of hunting. it's not a must that it shoot video but it would be a plus. i'm going to be a dad and that option would be handy. i'm trying to decide between a minolta z2, olympus c-765 and canon s1 IS. i like the feel of the canon and minolta. but i've read a few posts on here about the pic quality of the s1 not being so good or hard to use in low light etc. the video and the IS is a big head turner though. can you guys help me out on choosing? i'm going to stay below $300.

any help or pic examples would be greatly appreciated.

med
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:35 PM   #2

Well, after hunting around the reviews, it looks to me that the Z2 would be your best option. It (apparently) has the best quality pictures, and it's movie mode is high up there on the scale. Additinally, it has the best battery life, which I'm sure would come in handy on the longer hunting trips. Plus it is the only one of the group with an optical viewfinder, which is very useful (to me at least) for far-away shots (animals?). Also, the viewfinder allows you to turn off the LCD, which saves battery life. But, I am hardly an expert (I just hunt around the forums) so don't take my opinion as your only reason when/if you buy your camera.

One thing I can tell you for sure though, is that if it comes down to the looks of the Canon or the performance of another, the performance will definetly come out to be the better choice in the long run.

Good luck with your search -Jack
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaz2/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...key=oly_c765uz

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:05 AM   #3
Administrator

Jack B. Nimble wrote:
Quote:
Well, after hunting around the reviews, it looks to me that the Z2 would be your best option.
Quote:
[snip]
Quote:
Plus it is the only one of the group with an optical viewfinder, which is very useful (to me at least) for far-away shots (animals?). Also, the viewfinder allows you to turn off the LCD, which saves battery life.

Actually, it uses a Switch Finder Mechanism that directs the image from the LCD into the Viewfinder via a system with mirrors. You'll see this mechanism explained in the Features and Controls Section of the camera's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/z2_pg2.html

You won't find Optical Viewfinders in any of the Ultra Zoom Models.

Well, since this is Steve's Digicams, I'dsuggest reading the reviews here. In each review's conclusion section, you'll see things like startup time, autofocus speed/reliability, cycle times between photos, viewfinder/EVF usability, and image quality discussed.

Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2

Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom

Canon Powershot S1 IS

You may also want to look at the Panasonic models in this class. The DMC-FZ3 is a popular model, with a stabilized lens that can maintainf/2.8 brightness throughout it's focal range. It also has an autofocus assist lamp (a feature that's missing in the other models you're looking at).

Panasonic DMC-FZ3
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote