Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:46 PM   #1

As you can guess, I'm a 35mm photographer (semi-pro). I'm looking for a 'pocketable' digicam to carry around with me most of the time just for spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities.

Two Sony digicams seem to fit my needs... the DSC-F88 and DSC-W1. Actually, Iprefer the F88 because of its novel swivel-lens design (facilitating overhead and low shots)plus itsmanual modes. However, the F88's reviews have raised questions in my mind as to image-sharpness (which is paramount to me), whereas the W1's reviews indicate very good image-sharpness. I find this most curious because it seems as if they both use the same lens and sensor! :roll:

Iwould love to hear from owners of either digicam, as well as any advice you might have in helping me select one.

35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2

Have you considered the DSCP 100/150 (both still Sony)? They're both great little cameras for point and shoot. I actually almost bought the 150, before going with the Canon S70 for manual options. However, if you're staying with either the F88 or the W1, I'd say to go with the W1, based on everything I've heard; everyone seems to be happy with it.

Good luck with your search! -Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote