Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2004, 7:29 PM   #1

hey guyz,
just wanted to know which one of these has a better picture quality ( crispness/sharpness) and functions (if there is any major difference)
compactness doesnt really matter. which one wud u recommend.
sidhu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:00 AM   #2

Well... first of all, both cameras are excellent!

There has been people complaining about the W1's too strong noise reduction system which was causing some lack of sharpness. Also, it doesn't have many manual controls and doesn't have a custom white balance setting. On the other hand, Sony makes some very responsive cameras and they have long video capability, if that is for you.

The Canon, doesn't suffer from the noise reduction problem, but many people complain that is it not very fast to focus or not as responsive as the W1. It has lots of manual controls, but is limited in time and frame per second in its movies. Of course the W1 is also limited in fps, but 30fps is like tv; whereas, 10 or 15 is just unacceptable for some.

For my part, I bought the A95, because I liked it, because it suited my needs. I liked the "bigger" size of it, which felt comfortable in my hands and I figured that I could take videos with my camera, that was amazing already, I shouldn't complain about the quality. I am very pleased with my purchase, but I was hesitating between both cameras and both should be giving you great results, specially if you do not plan to print larger than 8x10. The last thing to consider is Canon colors vs Sony colors, that choice can only be made by you, look at picture and see the difference.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:12 AM   #3

If size isn't an issue (you said it isn't) then A95 is probably a better choice out of the two. A95 has manual controls while W1 only has basic controls. If you ever get interested in photography, the manual options is a must.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:03 AM   #4

This is a similar issue to where I am now. Have you considered Fuji E550. Some think it's better than the A95, and has a much better video function too.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:21 PM   #5

Unfortunately the Fuji E550 although sounds good on paper does not have an AF Assist lamp, has noise and purpe fringing issue and uses the crappy xD cards.

I think the Sony W1 at around $299 is the best value.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:07 PM   #6

Well if we're going to consider manual functions, perhaps the Canon S60 or S70 would be worth a look? I'd say they both have better manual features than the A95. But if you're a beginning photographer, I would say to go with the W1, as it is much simpler.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote