Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:08 AM   #1

I am thinking of buying this camera use as a second camera. I am going to buy a pentax S5i as my take anywhere camera. The canon will be used for taking pictures of sporting pics (kitesurfing) as we will need a large zoom. I have already memory cards for this camera what is a bonus but I have been told from another post that other cameras to look at are the olympus ultra zooms.

My only question about the canon is due to its 3mp picture size. What size of print can you go up to with this camera. Can you also enlarge picture with photoshop 8 with no (or not much loss of quality) i.e a4 to a3 paper size print?

Or any other suggestions for a camera around us$350?

Thanks in advance

uggitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:18 AM   #2

THe size you can print depends on quality (eg. dpi setting). Rough rule of thumb is 3 megapixels is good enough for AVERAGE 8"x10".

The Panasonic FZ3 is better than S1 IS (if you don't care about video). The cost is pretty much the same...Panasonic uses SD cards though... Olympus is ok too (it's small) but it has no image stabilization (which I value highly)... Other competitors in this category are the Konica Minolta Z3 and Fuji 7000(?) (I don't like any of these except Canon S1 IS (which I own) and Pansonic FZ3)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote