Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:30 AM   #1

Good morning all. I am trying to decide which camera I should buy. I have been researching camreas for the past few weeks and cannot decide what I would like. I am interested in lens quality more so than sheer megapixels. I would like to have at least 5 megapixels however. The pictures I would be taking are of subjects, outdoor photos in the mountains and around the yard, indoor photos, and low lighting shots such as night time shots. I was looking at the sony p150, nikkon 5200, cannon sd500, and kodak dx7590. I have an old sony p51. I loved the features of the kodak 7590 but the quality and lack of an autofocus assist lamp shy me away from it. So i continued to search and found the panasonic dmc-fz20. This camera is a bit more than I wanted to spend but it seems to have the quality and more features than I know how to use at this time but would love to learn. Are there any suggestions for something like this? I really would like a good lens that produces accurate colors in low lit conditions and I would love to have something more than the same old boring 3x optical zoom. Thanks!
algea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:06 AM   #2

Just a quick suggestion before I run off to work -- check out the Panasonic FZ3. It also has the 12x zoom with image stabilisation like the FZ20, but in a much smaller and less expensive package. This lens is also f2.8 across the entire zoom range as well.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:27 AM   #3

I agree with you that lens quality is very important. In fact, I would say that lens quality and sensor are the two most important things. Since nearly all camera manufacturers use the same select few sensors, you are down to the lens...

A lot of consumer and prosumer cameras are not good in low-light. So don't expect any miracles...

The Panasonic Lumix line has the best ultra-zoom cameras on the market IMO. You can't go wrong with it... PhilR (above) recommends Panasonic FZ3 but if you want 5 megapixels then FZ20 is what you need (FZ3 is 3MP; FZ20 is 5MP; there is alos the FZ15, as well as the older models such as the FZ10).

If you are willing to spend money, and don't need zoom, then the low-zoom prosumers like Sony V3 or Canon G6 are arguably better. But these cost more than the ultra-zooms, and I think you want zoom...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote