Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Keep the Canon S500 0 0%
Sony DSC-T1 0 0%
Sony DSC-P150 2 100.00%
Other 0 0%
or Wait 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:34 PM   #1

I got a Canon Powershot S500 for christmas. I've used it a few times, and the detail is much better and sharper than my old Canon Powershot S330. However, the color on the S330seems to bemuch better than the S500.

I went to Best Buy today to exchange the S500 for a Canon S70, but the S70 was just WAY too big for my tastes. I'm thinking of just getting the Sony DSC-P150 or the Sony DSC-T1 instead. I've read a bunch of reviews, but none of them are helping me make my decision. They all seem like solid cameras.

The one thing that bugged me about the S500 and the T1 was that they're old, and that they're gonna be replaced soon. That's why the S70 appealed to me, but the sucker was just way too big.

Any thoughts as to if Sony is comparable or better than Canon? I want a compact camera, that can take great pics, has a decent sized lcd, and one that won't be replaced in less than 3 months. I'm leaning towards the P150, b/c it's 7MP. Any suggestions? Should I just keep the S500? Anything cool coming out relatively soon? Thanks!
nlpamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:36 PM   #2

All cameras will be replaced within 6 months so you shouldn't worry about that. Just buy the best one that you like and stick with it... or buy a somewhat cheap one and keep upgrading every year or something...

As far as megapixels(MP) are concerned, higher MP will not improve your picture quality! All MP gives you is the ability to crop (i.e. concentrate on or cut a small portion out of a big picture) or print large prints. If you don't want to print large prints, or don't crop pics that much, then 7 megapixels doesn't do anything for you.

The T1 is one of my favourite cameras (don't own it; can't afford it; don't want it) but it has some flaws due to its size. The T1 has short flash range, has red-eye problems, and is just way too expensive for the features it has (these problems generally apply to all ultra-compacts but the T1 is the worst in some of these).

Sony P150 is pretty good so do check it out...

However, the ones that I like are Sony W1, Canon SD300 and Panasonic FX7.... I think the W1 offers the most bang for the buck. So if money is an issue, consider the W1 (if you don't care about money, then you can find better cameras than W1)... The SD300 and FX7 are the best ultra-compacts in terms of quality and features IMO. Check them out and see how you like them...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:42 PM   #3

I would say to definetly take a look at the P150. It's a great pocketable camera with very high picture quality. I actually narrowed my search down to it or the S70 (ended up with the S70, very happy) but if the S70 is too big, the P150 should be about perfect for you. What you must realize though is that the P150 doesn't have all that much in the way of manual modes. However, if you're good with the presets, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:40 AM   #4

thanks for the help guys! I ended up getting the DSC-P150, and I'm pretty happy with it. I think the pictures are WAAAAY better than the S500. And the camera itself feels and works much better. Thanks!

one thing though, all the Canon's seem to have a "panorama mode" where you take multiple pictures and have photo stitch do the rest for you. is there anything like this on the Sony? Thanks.
nlpamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:28 PM   #5

Even if there isn't panorama or Stith on the Sony P150 (orP100), there is excellent affordable and even some free(so i heard)software available to enable you to do Panoramas.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've been obsessing over choosing between buying a Canon S500 Sony P100 or Sony W1, but can' t decide. I at first said Sony P100( most features, best reviews etc.) but went to look at actual pics from P100 users at pbase.com and was horrified at the blurry and erstwhile lousy pics for the most part. Now I'm really ill. Maybe those pics were mostly lame amateurs who like to post pics and drink waaaaay too much cafiene ? Anyway, I also found a lot of user pics for the Canon s410 anss500 and most were awesome. So its a go for Canos right? I dunno cause, Canon has no manual (not really anyway) features that I think i might need to take action shots, like shutter control and aperture for takijng landscape, panorama, my wife in front of mountain but all is in focus kind of shots. My twin sons are bikers so i need to be able tofreeze action and worry that the Canon won't automatically freeze them in action or let me take all sharp pics w/deep depth of field. Since you owned canon then and Sony now can you or anyone else address ny concerns and advise me on which of the 3 cameras i shoul get( s500, Sony P100or W1). ps. Ive readALL the reviews on alll of them. Thanks
deserttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote