Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:53 AM   #1

Ok, so I'm not trying to be a pro here, and I certainly don't have the cash to be a pro, but I study myrmecology (ants), and there are some guys out there that can take some really impressive photos using relatively cheap cameras. popular choices include the nikon coolpix 995 and other coolpix related cameras. They have manual focus and the people that are good tend to like to rock the camera back and forth from their subject to obtain the "sweet spot." Well, I got a coolpix 5200 from my parents and I love the camera, but this lack of a manual focus feature is somewhat troubling. I can tell that it will get a clear focus from close up, and then lose it right after it obtains it, so I know that if i could manually control this camera, i would be able to find a real sweet spot there. I don't know enough about photography to appreciate some other features you get from a manual camera, but I'm new to this and just looking for a nice camera to take pictures of some ants with. Currently the nikon 5400 is on sale for the same price as the 5200, is this a good choice?

I'm not entirely partial to nikon, so I'm open to other suggestions as to what camera would be best. Remember I'm gonna be primarily macro, but obviously would like to have a nice camera to take on trips and what not...

My friend Alex Wild takes some amazing photos with 2 very cool setups you can see www.mymecos.net

Thanks in advance for your advice.
bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:47 PM   #2

You should check out the pics at this site's Panasonic forum. If those examples are what you are looking for, you could post a message to the photographer.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote