Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:25 PM   #1

:?I'm a first time buyer of a digital, but love taking pictures. I take of sports, outdoors, family etc. I would like an ultra zoom (6 or more would be nice). But would like to stay within a good price range <$400 possibly. I've looked at the Kodak6490, Canon S1 IS, and many others.. I think image stabilization would be nice too. It would be nice for batteries that are rechargeable or lithium. I appreciate all and any help. Thanks everyone!
commishdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:03 AM   #2

One of the most popular (lately, at least) mega-zoom with IS for under $400 is the Panasonic FZ3. Check out the reviews!

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:08 PM   #3

There are only 3 ultra-zooms at that price range with image stabilization: Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ3 (or one of the older ones), and Konica Minolta Z3. So you really don't have many choices. Just check out the review of those three and pick one... If you didn't care about image stabilization, then you have a few more ultra-zooms from: Olympus, Kodak, and Fuji.

If you go for pic quality, I think the best one with IS is the Panasonic FZ3. If you care about movies then Canon S1 IS is arguably better but then you have to decide if you want a camera with good movie but inferior pic quality (S1 IS) or one with good pics but bad video (FZ3).

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote