Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:40 PM   #1

Im looking into buying a digi-cam in the 300-400 dollar range.

It will be used primarily for aquarium photography, and some sort of compensator mode for fluorescent lighting would be a must.

This will be my first venture into a more complicated camera, but my Kodak CX6330 simply is not cutting it.

I like Canon's, and was thinking maybe the SI IS or the A95 would be good choices.

I will not be using a tri-pod so the IS seems rather attractive, but, the extra MP's off of the A95 as well as potentially more robust features are also attractive.

I have not been able to figure out for either of these cameras if there is a way to compensate for the fluorescent lighting of my tanks.

I will be primarily using smaller than 8x10 size pictures and the pictures will rarely leave there digital format and will remain on the computer.

The only issue that worries me about the SI IS is it's low light problems from what I can understand.

I will not be using a flash since you get glare off of the aquarium glass, so Im looking for something that can give low noise at higher ISO's with high ambient lighting, ie from the aquarium light and from room lighting and still be good quality.

Thanks in advance
SilverySliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:51 PM   #2

My first piece of advice would be to buy an inexpensive tripod. Second best is stabilization.

Butterfly photo has the Panasonic FZ15 for $372 including shipping. A 256Mb SD card would take you a little over your budget, but not much.

Another choice might be the FZ3 at $330 delivered. The 3Mp of the FZ3 and S1 should be sufficient for computer display and small prints if you frame properly so you don't have to crop a lot.

Any decent camera has a fluorescent setting on the white balance, and most will compensate fine in automatic white balance. Some cameras have finer adjustments of the white balance, but it isn't usually necessary for fluorescent lighting in my experience.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:50 AM   #3

slipe wrote:
My first piece of advice would be to buy an inexpensive tripod. ...
As slipe says, a tripod should be high on your list - though you might not be well served with a really cheap one. Look for a heavy one - price goes up as weight goes down, the weight adds stability, and you aren't going to be hauling it very far. In any case, look for one that allows you to get the camera tight against the aquarium glass.

A remote shutter release is a feature to look for with a camera that is going to be used with a tripod.

Another feature to look for is the ability to use an external flash. You get rid of the reflections by moving the flash far away from the camera. If you are thinking of using the aquarium light to take photos - forget it unless there is enough light that you have to prune back the plants at least twice/day.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote