Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:24 PM   #1

I've had a sony s-85 (4.1 mp)for a couple years and I really like it with the functions. It takes very good pictures, but it does have its limitations whenmaking the picture larger. I was thinking if I went to a higher Mp camera the quality would be better right out of the camera and if I did decide to enlarge it , it would still lookgood.

I will be using it for outdoor, in door,some close ups, basically just a general all purpose camera. Even though my s-85 pictures are very good theystill don't compare to a regular 35mm. My wife was going to buy me acamera for Christmas andthat was very nice of her. She let a camera shop talkher into a Fuji S-7000. It is a 6mp to 12 mp. They saidif I don't like it I can bring it back. I've played with it for about 2 weeks now. I have found several things I don't like about it.

1. Picture quaity isless than my sony.

2. I don't like the way it manually focuses.

3. With my sony I can view the subject and adjust the apiture (lightness/darkness)and it changes as I view it without taking a picture. I can't do that with the Fiji.

4. I don't like having to take the battaries out to charge. But I realize its nice having batteries you can buy off the shelf, but I like just pluging the camera in to the charger.

5. Battary drain is excessive. Battaries don't last long at all.

Needless to say its going back.

Seems like there was something else but my memory leaves me so I guess thats about all I can think of now, but my main concern is picture quality. Do they make digital that will compare in picture quality to a 35mm? I orginally thought about a dslr but since that thought I've learned that involves lens changeing and I really don't want to do that. Price isn't a real big factor. I wish they made a camera like my S-85, size and features, but was a step up inpicture quality. Any ideas what camera/brand will fit my needs?

If necessary I don't mind using photoshop to adjust the pictures a little.

Thanks for any help. About the time i think I know what I want, I read something that changes my mind again. Help!!

tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:20 PM   #2

You want to enlarge the pictures up to what size ?

If price doesn't matter and you were thinking about a dSLR but don't like lense change, perhaps you should look at the Canon Pro 1, it has a 28-200mm lense which is simply amazing and since the last firmware update it is supposed to be an amazing camera. You should also look towards the Canon G6 which is also excellent, but doesn't have as much wide angle or telephoto capabilities as the Pro 1.

The picture quality of those 2 cameras is great, I'm not sure what you mean by the way the camera manually focuses... I'm not sure what the battery life is, but I am pretty sure you have to take the batteries out to charge them.

One other good point about those cameras is that they use the much more standard compact flash memory than the xD cards your Fuji uses.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote