Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:29 PM   #1

I just had my Sony DSC-S85 stolen. I loved it and want a camera that is just as good or better. These are the three I have come up with. All have good & bad points, I like the W-1, but it doesn't have many scene modes, like sports, etc. The Kodak seems to have the whole package, but does it have the best image quality? I've read alot of good things about the Canon, but it just doesn't feel very solid. I don't really care for the swivel LCD, seems like it could break. The most important feature is picture quality. I take mostly family shots, some sports shots of my kids. Sports shots seem to be the most trouble with the delays in digital cameras. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
bblick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:10 PM   #2

I doubtyou couldreally be deceived by the A95. And if you feel the swivel LCD could break, you could also just leave it opened at all time. I also consider the A75 to be a better camera than the A85.

Kodak cameras have the reputation of being very easy to use, but I do not know about their picture quality.

As for the Sony, it is indeed a very fine camera, some people complain about the excessive noise reduction, not sure if it would bother u. Also the low light focusing is rather good on Sony cameras, as opposed to Canon cameras. Also, the Sony are supposed to focus fast which can be nice for your action shots.

As for picture quality, check http://www.pbase.com/camerasyou'll get an idea of what each cameras is capable of. Also, here is a few shots I took with my A95 http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:45 PM   #3

A95..nice camera...canon is obviously well known for a great camera. keep in mind that the DX7630(which i own) has a beautiful Schneider - Kreuznach variogon lens...also a bright 2.5inch LCD...obviously the 6.1mp is better then 5mp as well.

the manual settings on a DX7630 are slightly better also, i did look at a A95 but the manual settings were a let down.

hope this helps

s|r_b00st is offline   Reply With Quote