Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1

I currently have a G2 that I have been very disappointed with. Very bad autofocus and lots of blurry or soft pics. But when looking at reviews of the latest and greatest 7 and 8 mp cameras, I keep seeing comments about noise. Then under reviews, lots of people seem to be saying that they like the image quality of their old 5 mp's better. If I were to ditch the G2, would I be better off getting another 4-5 mp camera instead of the newest 7-8 mp? My needs are mostly sports shooting, as well as indoor concert photos (usually from quite a distance back - so need both long zoom and good low light performance). Looking at reviews, I just am not finding anything that is fast enough for sports (as far as autofocus), has a long zoom for shooting from a distance, and good low light performance without going to a DSLR which I just can't afford (it would cost me a divorce!). Can anyone help or give advice?

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2

I've been reading the same things regarding higher mps and noise. My guess is that manufacturers are jumping too fast to try and satisfy the mainstream consumer who wants big numbers (high megapixels, zooms, etc) above eveything else. I don't think the CCD technology is there yet to handle the ratio of mps that the customers wantvsthe CCD size currently available in non-slr type cameras.It is weird because one would assume some positive relationship between time and quality, but like you said there seems to be an inverse relationship happening. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there aresomenew high mps outthere that are excellent, but it seems on the average the quality just insn't there; Unless you are buying an slr for a lot of money.

The opposite can also be said. Your camera is a few years old and you are not happy withit. So the above argument/opinion isn't perfect.....

Iamstill trying to find an "excellent" camera myself for a good price while at the same time juggling the opinion/limits of patienceof the wife.

As for another camera for you, I have heard the minolta dimage Z seriesto be very fast. You might want to take a look at them.'

Hope this helps, Mike
Mike682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

The 7Mp sensor in the G6 seems to have better noise characteristics than the 5Mp sensor in the G5. So they are making some progress. I doubt either would have noise as low as your G2 though. But the G6 focuses well and is quicker.

The Panasonic FZ20 maintains f2.8 all the way to 12X. And stabilization gives at least a couple of f-stops if you can hit the performers in a null movement moment. The great burst mode gives you a better chance of hitting that moment. You can't crank the ISO way up without getting considerable noise though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:30 PM   #4

I don't think its worth the trade off, simply because more MP mean more ability to crop and bigger prints possibility. Unless you print above 8x10, you don't need high MPs. As for the perfect digicam, there is none, you are right... For my part, I am very pleased with my A95, I live very well with its limitations.

For long zoom(and IS)and fast lense, there is the Panasonic FZ3, FZ15 and FZ20; respectively 3, 4 and 5mp. You could also go for the Canon S1 IS which has a lense a little slower than the Panasonics. The low light photography isn't that great for a few reasons... The first one being that its slow to focus, but that can be taken care of with manual focus. Then you will be shooting from far and thus you can't use the integrated flash to provide more light, so you have 2 choices, raising the ISO(which raises the noise) or using slower shutter speed(which will require a tripod and will only be good for pictures of still objects). So you have quite a dilema there... Anyway, the Panasonic FZ series are some of the best ultra-zoom cameras(with image stabilisation)on the market currently.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:24 PM   #5

You really won't find any consumer or prosumer camera that will satisfy you (i.e. sports/fast action & low-light). THat's why you have DSLRs (I would argue that DSLRs will be less popular if the prosumers had similar noise performance).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote