Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:36 PM   #1

I currently own a boat anchor - Nikon Coolpix 800 with I-don't-know-how-much-shutter-lag. It has been frustrating shooting children and puppies- I've gotten a lot of blurry pictures of the backs of their heads.Lately I am getting a lot of "System Error" messages and it's always when I've finally captured a good shot (but even though the image can be seen on the screen under the words SYSTEM ERROR - it doesn't get recorded). It's time to get a new camera.

So after that preamble, first off, I am wondering what the current benchmark isin eliminating shutter lag (NOT in the pre-focused mode), and what cameras out there come closest. The other features I'd like on a camera are big optical zoom, remote shutter release, not too big/bulky, & hopefully an articulating screen. Compromises will undoubtedly have to be made. I've seen the discussion on shutter lag back in August, but am hoping there have been some new developments since then. At the time, I was considering the Canon S1. Big optical zoom, fairly small size. Not sure how it comes now, or even if I was on the right track with it then.
DeniseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:44 PM   #2

It seems that your camera is faulty. Anyhow...when you've prefocused the S1 IS, the shutter lag time is about 0.2 seconds which is pretty good-this is when you've aimed the camera at the subject and have already pressed the shutter button half-way. But if you want to take a picture of something without yet having pressed the shutter button half-way (to get focus), then the shutter lag is about 0.8 seconds, which may or may not be significant.

Here's steves digicams conclusions...

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote