Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:54 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I'm new at the forum but I've surfing on Steve's a long time a go.

I'm all about aviation photography and would like to know what you experts think it's a better choice for it:

* Canon S1 IS

* Fujifilm Finepix E550

*Any other suggestion ...

Thanks in advance!

zazaboeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:03 PM   #2

What does aviation photography involve? Taking close up pics of large planes? Or taking pics of far away planes (maybe in the sky)?

I have Canon S1 IS and think it is one of the best ultra-zooms at the $300/$400 mark. However, the best ultra zoom is the Panasonic FZ3 (or the higher end FZ20). It's still hard to take fast moving objects in the sky but that goes with almost any camera (Canon S1 IS is better than the Panasonic if you care about video though; video may be worthwhile for plane shows...not sure).

If aviation pics involve close-up pics of planes (eg. landed planes that you can go close to), then I would probably look at a camera with a big wide angle. This way, you can fit the whole plane into the pic without moving back very far.

On another note, if you can wait a few months, try waiting. New cameras may be announced in February (Canon S1 IS has some shortcomings and they may be fixed if Canon comes up with a new model). But new models cost way more than the old ones though...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote