Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:17 AM   #1

Hi all,
I'm in need of some advice about which digital camera I should buy. I'm not new to photography or digital photography and would classify myself as a serious amateur. I'm in need of a digital compact that is:

-highly portable (i.e. much smaller than a DSLR, but not necessarily shirt-pocket smal)

-somewhere in the 5+ megapixel range

-has a good auto-focus mode but also includes as many manual settings as possible.

-quick start up

-minimal shutter-lag

-highly capable of non-flash use

-not too delicate

-no more than £300-£350 in price

-good for Street Photography. i.e. snapping off quick, candid shots with minimal fiddling in Auto mode.

-good in available-light/low-light conditions (wide aperture? high ISO?)

Some degree of weatherproofing would also be highly desirable, although it is not absolutely necessary.

I've looked at numerous cameras online but none that I've found seem to fit the bill. The Olympus C-7000 (called C70 in the UK) seems great, but I'm a little concerned about it's usefulness as a street-photography camera. Seems like it might be better suited to landscape. I've also had a look at the Sony P150, but that one appears to be too limited in terms of manual controls. Although it looks very pretty.

Thanks a bunch.
SpankyMcSpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:11 AM   #2

The Olympus C-5050 with a super bright f1.8 lens and focus assist light is a natural for street photography. I've even heard of professional photojournalists using it. I'm assuming it's NOT their primary camera though. It's definitely not shirt pocket size but would fit in a coat pocket. It would fit in some pants pocket, but you're not going to slip it into the pocket of most jeans. It's 4.5"x3"x2.7" and 380 grams compared to the C7000 at 4"x2.3"x1.7" and 220 grams. It's only 3x zoom (35-105) compared to the C7000's 5x zoom (38-190), also. Every camera is a trade-off so you'll have to decide which features are most important to you; however, it IS a great street camera.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:23 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

The more I read, the more confused I get.

At the moment I'm trying to choose between the Olympus C-7000 and the Casio Exilim EX P700. There's hardly a difference between them that I can tell.
SpankyMcSpank is offline   Reply With Quote