Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:23 AM   #1

Hi , i want to buy a camera and i saw 2 cameras.
The Canon powershot A510(250euros) and the sony w1(290euros), can u guys give ur opinion in which camera sould i buy.
Its for holidays , family etc and for printing on 11*15 , no more than that.
Biotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:44 AM   #2

Both cameras should be good, as for which one you should buy, I'd say it depends a lot on what you want to do. For printing at 11x15(I presume cm), both will give you film quality results, so the megapixels don't count here.

Also, they will both enable you some cropping and since the A510 goes up to 140mm, I think that ur cropping power will be better with that one. It will give more manual controls if want those too. There is 1 thing to keep in mind and that is that you'll have to buy a charger and NiMH batteries with the A510, whereas, with the W1, the charger and 2 NiMH batteries are included.

As for the W1, like all Sony cameras, is fast to focus in low light and generally quite fast for its operations. It also has a movie mode with unlimited recording(card capacity) at 640x480 with 30fps(provided you use some Memory Stick Pro). This brings me to the cost, the memory stick usually costs more than SD cards(for the Canon), specially if you want the better movie mode and buy some memory stick pro.

For my personnal needs, I'd probably go for the A510 even tho I could print at 20x25cm. I like the bigger zoom and also the wider wide angle(tho its minimal). I personally own the A95 and I am not bothered by the supposedly slow focusing in low light, but that is just me.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote