Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which will camera will be best for my needs?
Panasonic DMC-FZ20 12 63.16%
Nikon Coolpix 8800 1 5.26%
Fujifilm Finepix S 5100 4 21.05%
Olympus C-770 1 5.26%
Canon Powershot S1 IS 1 5.26%
Kodak Easyshare DX7590 0 0%
Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 0 0%
Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:14 AM   #11

ecm wrote:
Another point not mentioned - you'll need a tripod or an external flash to get good pics indoors with all of these prosumer cameras - yet another reason to take a good hard look at the dSLRs.

Good Luck! ECM

The FZ20 has a hot shoe for an external flash. It's full manual however (all it does is fire the flash, not control or receive feedback from it) so you'd want a flash you can adjust output to suit. Or at the very least, practice a lot with different shutter speeds and aperatures to see what suits best for given situations. People using them seem to highly favor the sunpack 383 and say for sub $100 flash it's the most versitile.. The one thing you have to be careful of with ALL digitals and some regular SLRs for that matter, is that the flash voltage isn't too high. I don't own the sunpack, only passing along info.

Another nice feature of the FZ20 is a Highlight feature. It'll show you where the highlights are completely blown out (no detail). Extremely useful in my opinion. You'll have imediate feedback showing that your photo may be over exposed.

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:14 AM   #12

I'm with Ian ........ Kyocera M410R ..... a little beaut!

Much written in the Kyocera threads. Hardly a crit there!

Cheers, KK
Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:15 AM   #13

I'd say go for the Fuji 5100, great control excellent quality and fantastic VGA video which will be a real bonus with a baby on the way. I only recently got mine (£180) after looking on these forums and it's great. I wouldn't worry too much about IS or anti shake, even on full zoom its not been a problem.
ariauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:55 AM   #14

Add the Panasonic FZ5 to your list. Coming in April!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:47 AM   #15

Thanks for the help. Actually my wife with no knowledge or clue of what I would want in a camera bought me the Fuji S 5100 for my 30th BDay . I played with it last night and was pretty impressed!!. About the mem cards...cannot complain Mother-In-Law bought 512MB card, and they also got me a Photo Printer. I seriously don't how they knew what I wanted...basically of all you were the only ones who did. My mother-in-law did say it was luck.

Again, thanks for all the help!!!
FarrarEd is offline   Reply With Quote