Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which will camera will be best for my needs?
Panasonic DMC-FZ20 12 63.16%
Nikon Coolpix 8800 1 5.26%
Fujifilm Finepix S 5100 4 21.05%
Olympus C-770 1 5.26%
Canon Powershot S1 IS 1 5.26%
Kodak Easyshare DX7590 0 0%
Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 0 0%
Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:01 AM   #1

I am trying to figure out which one will give me the biggest bang for my buck. I will be using this for Red Sox games, my wife's pregnancy (hopefully ; ) ), for EBAY, and also to be able to take some scenic pictures for display in our home. I am a novice with a huge interest in photography for a hobby. The cameras with video and sound also intrigue me for their versitility. Thank you for any help.

Panasonic DMC-FZ20

Nikon Coolpix 8800

Fujifilm Finepix S 5100

Olympus C-770

Canon Powershot S1 IS

Kodak Easyshare DX7590

Konica Minolta Dimage Z2

Konica Minolta Dimage Z10
FarrarEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:12 PM   #2

anyone else? Only one person?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 3:12 PM   #3

i'm on the same boat and i'm really interested on what people have to say.

with the help of tlmiller01 i'm 90% decided on the FZ20, but the fact that the Fuji's look so cool are keeping me doubtful. if only the S7000 was 10 or 12x i'd go with that one on a heartbeat but since i'm on the pursuit of a good super-zoom, the FZ20 seems to be the best contender. so i'll vote on that one since the S7000 is not in your list(well, its not super-zoom anyways)

good luck and keep us posted on what you get
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:02 PM   #4

Panasonic Lumix line (eg. FZ3, FZ20) are the best ultra-zooms if you don't care about video...

If you care about video then Konica Minolta Z3 (or the newly announced Z5) or Canon S1 IS are worth considering.

I personally don't like the Fujis, Olympuses, etc because they don't have image stabilization. I think IS is very helpful for ultra-zooms...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:26 AM   #5

FZ20 wins in almost all departments. If size is not a problem, you need lots of zoom, by all means get this camera. If you want better photos without the big zoom, the Canon G6 is one of the best, before going into dSLR region.

But, photography is not about size or features.

It's about the balance of everything to make a camera a tool to take great pics.

My vote goes to the Olympus C770UZ for its compactness and ease of use, not forgetting good pics. I use mine a lot and yes, I do sometimes wish that it has IS, but then again photography has survived the last century without IS so why can't we?
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:59 AM   #6

My guess is a not too distantversion of the Olympus C7xx will have some form of image stabilization. IMO, Olympus will simply not be competitive without it. I loved my C700, but I wouldn't trade my FZ10 for ten of them.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:52 AM   #7

Again no one mentions the Kyocera M410R, so I will.

It's worth having a look at for the price, good video good pictures and it's fast.

Shutter doesn't freeze up when focusing so you can follow the action EVF does gain up in low light so you can use it but no AF so difficulty focusing.

Very pleased I bought this camera. IMO best EVF out of all those listed. I've tried most of them and I bought the Kyocera.

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:24 PM   #8

Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:50 PM   #9

I voted for the FZ20.. Biased I suppose as I've had one for a month and love it. In all honesty though, if you are seriously considering an 8mp camera like the Nikon 8800, you might be better off going the dSLR route on the Canon Digital Rebel or the Nikon D70. Slightly more start up cost perhaps but in the $$ range, far more bang for the buck..

Good luck with the camera and the wife..

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:55 AM   #10

OIS is worth having in the ultra-zooms; the Panasonic FZ20is clearly the best bang for buckright now for still pics -the lens is awesome. For video the Canon S1 IS is probably best; however, it's still not a camcorder - and realize that at high quality you'll get 9 minutes on a 1 GB CF card.... (see http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...p;modelid=9824 ). It's not DVD quality video, either.

The Konica-Minoltas have problems with softness at full tele; the lens is apparently being pushed too far. The Nikon 8800 could be a great camera, but I haven't read a really positive review yet; at that price, a dSLR would be a better choice anyways - the Pentax *istDS, Canon dRebel, and Oly E300 are all sub-$1K. OIS isn't as necessary if you have usable ISO 800, either. The Kodak is a good point-N-shoot but it has little to offer the "prosumer". Fuji and the Oly you mentioned are crippled by their stupid insistance on xD flash cards; you always have to add the 80-100% premium you pay for xD on to the price of the camera and1 GB xD isn't even available.

Another point not mentioned - you'll need a tripod or an external flash to get good pics indoors with all of these prosumercameras - yet another reason to take a good hard look at the dSLRs.

Good Luck! ECM

ecm is offline   Reply With Quote