Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

I need a camera that is reliable in low light or variable light conditions on the auto setting. I need to be able to carry this camera in my pocket on a daily basisfor spontaneous photo opportunities. I will be handing the camera off to random people to take pictures of me with various other people...usually indoors in low light conditions. It would also need to be easy to take good clear pictures because I wouldn't know the skill level of anyone who would be taking the pictures.

We are looking at the following cameras

Canon Powershot S500

Nikon CoolPix 5200 (although the shape seems a bit large for daily pocket use)

Sony Cybershot DSC-P100

Any advice as to which would be best (or any problems related to any of them) would be greatly appreciated. I am also open to any other pocket size camera ideas. Thanks
lynn_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:21 PM   #2

Right now you can get a $100 rebate on the Nikon 3700, which brings the price down to about $129. It is a metal-bodied pocket-sized 3mp camera with 3x zoom, and more importantly for you is that it has a focus-assist light. It's not the best pocket camera out there, but it is the best $130 camera out there. Consider looking at the review.

Since you take pics indoors/low light, you will need flash. Therefore, don't forget to look at the flash ranges of the pocket-sized cameras in the reviews. Also, don't forget that small camera means small flash, and small flash means short operating distances.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote