Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:41 AM   #1

I currently have a 4mp Canon S45... and am thinking of getting another camera that can 'complement' it, as well as something that I can explore more with, kinda considering prosumer models.

I take a lot of street scenes, candids, landscape scenery as well as the usual people photos.

Kinda tempted by the Panasonic FZ20(someone offering a good deal) with its 12X zoom and image stablization (and price), but I do wish that it had more megapixel.

Wondering if I should just go for the FZ20? Or should I wait for what might be FZ30 (if there is one), or should I just consider other models?

Many thanks in advance!
jaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:23 AM   #2

On a prosumer sized sensor, the higher number of megapixels, the more noise you'll have to deal with. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than 5mp's on a 2/3 sized sensor (altough I've heard good things about the recent 7mp cameras).

Since you already have a 4mp camera, I would not be as concerned with jumping much higher in megapixels. Look at features you would like that your current camera doesn't support. A high power optical zoom with image stabilization is a good compliment to your current camera.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:41 AM   #3

What do you need more megapixels for? Usually with ultra-zooms, you would zoom with the camera so cropping is less of a need... but of course, this depends on your style.

If you don't really need a camera right now, you can always wait until you need one... It remains to be seen if the manufacturers will increase the size of the sensor on the ultra-zooms this year...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:43 PM   #4

Unless you are planning to get a wide format photo printer or have your shots blown up large at a photofinisher, 4Mp is plenty of pixels. 5Mp is marginal for a 13 X 19 print though.

The stabilized 12X lens on the FZ20 is really great for nature shots and candids at a distance.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:10 PM   #5

I would have toagree with you guys on the megapixel thingy... I don't really do a lot of blown up pics prints, so guess 5mp would be more than ok for me.

After some further reading... kinda tempted by the good image of Canon's G6, though features wise it's not that much more than what I already have on the S45 (4X zoom... 1X more than the S45 and the 7mp, which I don't really need).

Sofrom all logics of reasoning... guess I should go with the FZ20. :lol:

jaix is offline   Reply With Quote