Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

I've been following this forum for a while and asked a few questions, and it sounds to me like most if not all digital camera's need a program like Photo Shop to make the pictures decent or improve on the orginal. I would like to know Iyou have touse software on your pictures from your camera? Yes or No, and what kind of camera. Any other comments are fine too.
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:38 PM   #2

I have a Kyocera M410R and before this a canon powershot A70, most of the shots I print out I left as they were.

I'm not really that good on any of the photoshop/image editing software so don't really use it. That said I've used it on some shots, using the auto correction functions and cropping. I would say though that about 90-95% of my shots have been straight from the camera no processing. Some may say they are rubbish or they could be better, but I'm happy and sometimes very impressed with the way the shots print out(Ihave a HI-TI 730PSDye-Sub)I think a good printer makes abig difference inhow the shots turn out.

I used to have a 35mm film camera, with that you couldn't manipulate the image, just print out hope for the best. I think I still have the feeling it's cheating to adjust the shots loads before printing. Just my opinion, hopefully others will post their thoughts.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:46 PM   #3

There are no perfect digital cameras. Every one has some little picky thing that makes it miss absolute photographic perfection!

I'm not much for post-processing. It seems like a lot of work, sitting in front of a computer, whenI would sooner be out in the fresh air and sunshine taking pictures...THAT is where the fun is for ME!

But, there are a whole group of people who get their fun from post-processing. Actually taking the picture is little more than providing data (RAW data) for their photoediting equipment which is where (they see) the REAL creativity in the hobby resides.

As I said, I am not in that group. I prefer a camera that gives me shots I like right out of the box...without a lot of fiddling and twiddling. Hey, I know they aren't perfect but I have already accepted that nothing is...not even the ones that have been twiddled and fiddled with.

So, I am happy and they are happy. I don't have a copy of Photoshop (at any level) and, I'm not ashamed of the shots I take.

Aside from reducing the size allow it to fit better on the screen, this shot is completely unaltered from the way it came out of my Sony V3.

"That's the way..uh huh..uh huh..I LIKE it!..uh huh..uh huh"
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:24 PM   #4

Very nice picture. If mine were all like that I wouldn't mess with altering them either. If someone want to do it its fine with me but I don't have the time for that. That shot probably wasn't auto was it? Either way itsperfect as far as I'm concerned.
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:38 PM   #5

It is Aperture Priority, 13mm zoom, f5.6, ISO 100, 8 sec exposure, auto WB

I put it on a mini tripod on the trunk of my car and used the self timer to minimize vibration
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:01 PM   #6

Take a look at the samples at the back of the reviews here.

Most are directly from the cameras (or if they are not, they will be commented with how they've been processed).

Light is a camera's best friend (and that applies to both digital and film). Depending on lighting, it is sometimes desirable to make changes to a photo.

For example, you may take a photo ofa backlit subject and forget touse exposure compensation or fill flash. So, you may need to brighten it up some (so that it's not much darker than the rest of the scene). An editor can come in handy for things like this.

If you use a built in flash, you may also need to use an editor to reduce redeye (again, this applies to both film and digital).

If you're in a situation that requires higher ISO speeds to get faster shutter speeds, you can get noise in an image from a digital camera (or grain from film). So, if you're going to be printing at larger sizes, a tool to reduce the noise/grain can be desirable.

Cropping a photo (so that it has the correct dimensions of width to height for a desired print size) is another popular use for a basic image editor.

There are many products on the market to help enhance your photos.

Are they necessary? To some users, no. Some others want to get the photos as nice as possible, and may use sophisticated tools to bring out their best.

Personally, I use a variety of tools when I want larger prints -- depending on the subject matter. I have very few editing skills (unlike many users you'll find in the forums here, who are very good with image editors).

In fact, one of my favorite photo enhancers is an old product that's no longer marketed that allows veryeasycorrections based on Genotypes (a type of template). It's called Photogenetics. It requires very little skill (you simply pick which photo looks best as it makes changes to it until you get it looking it's best). Then, you can apply the same changes to other photos taken in the same conditions quickly by using this saved "Genotype'.

You'll see similar "quick fix" tools in many image editors now (some work better than others).

Fortunately, there are a LOT of image editors on the market (and many are free). Many also have trial versions that you can download to see how they work for you.

You may even decide that you don't need them at all (for the types of photos you take, and your desired use for them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:29 AM   #7

I have a 3 megapixel Canon S1 IS. I use the bundled Arcsoft PhotoStudio to do alter one thing: sharpness. The Canon produces soft pics so I tend to sharpen them using that image editor. I also might do some cropping using an image editor (but this depends on what size print you want). Other than that, I don't use image editors much.

I think it all comes down to whether you want to frame the pic and spend time taking a good pic, OR take a quick pic and spend time fixing the pic in an image editor. I want to master the camera and don't want to learn image editing, so I try to frame and take the pic using the camera. However, many like editing the pic. So it all depends on what you want...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:20 AM   #8

I have the Canon S1 IS also and I use a few different editors. Mostly for red eye reduction since this camera's redeye doesn't work and sometimes for fill flash because taking pictures of a black dog in normal situations is a little difficult (hard to take out devil eyes).

I use Arcsoft Photostudio5 (for the redeye fix) that came with my Canon scanner and use Photoshop Elements for the fill flash, auto adjust and cropping.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:08 AM   #9

Kyocera SL300R camera. Photoshop CS for post processing. Occasionally I use Painter as well. Most of what I do in Photoshop is lightening up the dark parts of the photos and preparing photos for printing. Once in a while I go wild and completely transform an image, turning it into what I would call digital art rather than a photograph.

Photography is a hobby for me, and I enjoy the computer work as part of the hobby.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote