Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:44 PM   #1

I just joined after having read quite a bit about the Canon Powershot G6 and Pro 1. Each has it's plusses and they are reasonably close in price. I have three Canon cameras (AE-1 an ancient SLR 35mm, Z115 pocket 35mm camera, and a Powershot G1, my first digital) and hence have been hooked on them for sometime. The Pro 1 seems to have the best lenses by far and more functionality than the G6. But apparently the Pro 1 has more problems with focusing time, low light, filter adapter ring and noise at high ISO settings.

Has anyone compared these two in hands-on experience? Any other brand/models recommended in this price and pixel range? .......or should I wait and see if Canon works the bugs out?

PS - I looked at Steve's best cameras and would especially appreciate any preferences in the "8MP Prosumer": category.
sreiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

You should wait because the Pro1, like many other high-end prosumers, have several key flaws... poor focusing, weak ISO performance (for its price), etc are some of the issues...

Of the high-end prosumers, the ones I like (just based on specs--not sure about pic quality), are the Olympus 8080 and Nikon 8800. THe Olympus seems to be thte benchmark but the Nikon 8800 has image stabilization (not lens though).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

take a look at olympus's new C-7070, there is a preview on this website.. its basically a C-5060 (awesome camera) with an increase in resolution to 7.1 megapixels.. this combination should prove to be unbeatable.. i am considering one myself as a light streetcamera to take to work every day...

enjoy, Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote