Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:02 PM   #1

I tend to like sharp images and bright colors.I am an old point and shoot jockey andpretty much a novice at doing all the manuel adjustments...But I got a book on photography and need a fairly inexpensive camera to learn on...Thanks...
WorkinStiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:50 PM   #2

For landscape pictures you want a camera with a wide angle zoom that starts out at 28mm (most digicams start at 35mm). Also the better cameras use a larger 1/1.7" CCD sensor (cheaper cams use 1/2.5" sensors) with 5 to 7 MPixels.
If you want a compact camera, then you have the Canon S70:
If you would like a bulkier and higher quality camera then you have the Olympus C5060 and the C7070:
The C7070 is a bit above your budget as it is a brand new camera which should come down in price.
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:56 AM   #3

I agree about wanting the widest lens you can find.

The other feature you should look for is a remote shutter release, or at least a self-timer, so you can avoid camera motion/shake. You will want a tripod to go with that, though bean-bags, car hoods, fence posts, and other objects will serve in a pinch.

I'd suggest spending about half your budget on a tripod, and getting a pocket digicam to go with it. A good tripod will outlast several cameras; a poor tripod is likely to serve as a high-speed downward-only camera-bearing elevator when used over concrete.

When you figure out what camera suits your needs, you will still have a use for both the pocket digicam and the tripod.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote