Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:16 PM   #1

I am going to buy a Panasonic digital camera. I have narrowed it down to the DMC- FX7 and the DMC-FZ20. Obviously different cameras, but I am trying to figure out if the small size/convenience of the FX7 outweighs the picture quality/zoom lens of the big, bulky DMC-FZ20. The camera will be used for family pictures and vacations, but I am looking for a sharp image when developing pictures 4"x6" (mostly) and 8"x10" (occasionally).

Professional reviews of the FX7 mentions an underpowered flash, poor battery life, major redeye, but "very good photo quality." I'd be interested in any comments on these.

Professional reviews of the FZ20 mentions above average noise levels, redeye, and the flash has trouble close up and is blocked by the lens, but they claim "the sharpness is very good." I'd be interested in any comments on these.

If anyone has experience with both cameras, I really hope you'll post a reply.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:01 PM   #2

I was checking out the Panasonic line last night online, after I got tired of looking at the Leicas! The camera I was impressed with is the DMC-LC70.

I think the images from this camera look better than the FX7 and better than the LC80 as well. 4MP should give you enough resolution to print at 8 x 10.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3

Panasonic also released newer cameras so they are worth looking into. The ones that seem impressive are the compact LC1 and LC2. They have 6x(!!!) zoom, which is nice for a comapct...Anyway...

FX7 vs FZ20 will come down to compactness. If you need something compact that you can carry anywhere (eg. into a restaurant, to a party, etc) then the Fx7 is the way to go. Otherwise, FZ20 is better in nearly all respects... ultra-compacts lose easily to prosumers...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote