Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:27 AM   #1

Hi there,

I was going to get the Canon Powershot SD300 next week but the very recent press release by Canon announcing their brand new SD400 and SD500 has made me think. http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...-sd500_pr.html

According to the press release, the only real difference between the SD300 and SD400 is the 4.0MP sensor compared with the 5.0MP sensor. They both have a 1/2.5" CCD sensor.

The SD500 however, looks a bit different and has a gut busting 7.1MP sensor with a 1/1.8" CCD sensor.

Will i need a 5.0MP camera? I will mainly be taking family photos, nothing too serious. As i understand it, more MP on the same CCD sensor will mean more noise. Will the extra noise be noticable between the SD300 and SD400? Will it also be worth the extra 2 months wait and price?

The SD500 seems interesting. Can you please tell me, just a quick educated guess from the press release, if it will be worth waiting for this camera? Will 7.1MP on a 1/1.8" sensor produce more noise than a 4MP with a 1/2.5"? Will i need 7.1MP if i'm just going to print photos of up to A4 size (very rarely though, more often then not i will be printing A5).

Any help, suggestions or anything will be immensly appreciated!

kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links